Monday, January 31, 2005

AFS Generation

So, here I am, returning from a full weekend spent volunteering for AFS. I have a particular affection for AFS and all it's done for me, and being a former AFS defines me quite a lot. So, last year I decided to go back volunteering- and this weekend was the first one when I've actually done something- actually WE've done something, since Cielo decided to follow me in my endeavour! We were in Stinson Beach with a group of 23 students, all ranging in age between 15 and 18, from all over the world. Three Thai, three Japanese, two Indonesian, two Italians, two Austrian, one Swiss, one Turkish, one Slovak (?), two Chinese, one Bolivian, one Chilean, one Argentinian, one German, one Finnish, and I'm missing one and I don't know who! Anyway, this was an amazing group to be in. Beside for the fact that they're all incredibly smart and sharp kids with a great inclination toward learning and sharing, the way they related to each other, their enthusiasm, and their eagerness to learn and experience new things have been amazing. I ended up relating to many of them as I would to my friends, which isn't anything I would have expected to begin with. I am surprised at them and in awe, and I hope I gave the same impression to the volunteers way back when! Anyway, it was awesome. We camped and did a bonfire, and roasted marshmellows to do S'Mores; we talked about their problems and about the fact it's not an easy experience (being a seventeen year-old thrown in a different culture, in a different part of the world, in a different family CAN'T be easy, let's face it!), but that it's an awesome growing-up time. And we went to Stinson Beach to walk on the sand and enjoy the beautiful weather we got, it was stunning! It was cool to be sought out and related to, and I hope they have left with a sense of trust and that everything will be working out for them!!

Thank you, AFSers. Way back when, as much as now, you're always the best!


Myself and Tap, from Thailand Posted by Hello

Me, Ariane and Aurelie on Stinson Beach! Posted by Hello


The Fab 23! :) Posted by Hello

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home